The Soundtrack

Of all people, of all things and of all time, I had to be stuck in the toilet in uni today.

The story begins with me ducking into the middle cubicle at lunch and trying to lock the door. However, the door refuses to shut and due to an almost rupturing bladder, I just held the door shut. When I was done, I pulled the door open and to my absolute horror, the entire thing fell off its hinge at the bottom and the top part was mashed against the wall HARD. So hard there was no way I could pull it open. So I stood there wrestling with the door for a good 5 minutes while waiting for the person in the next cubicle to finish her business. This was the first time in my life that I felt euphoria rush through me with each sound of the water flushing. When she came out, I squealed like a mouse from the back of the door a tinnie winnie lil 'Excuse me, could you please move the door for me? It's stuck.' She pushed and tugged at the door to no avail. So she suggested if she should get help. I was like NOOOOOOOO and let the whole world watch me get stuck in the toilet? Not an option. I contemplated climbing out from under but decided it was too ugly, dirty and smelly. In the end, she kicked the door open and saved me from being a dork stuck in the toilet. Embarrassing embarrassing and many thanks to that kind sweet girl!

You know how you like one song so much during a period of your life and play it over and over again? Then when you play it back again a few years later, it instantly teleports you back to that moment in your life and you relive it ever so vividly? Talk about nostalgia, seriously.

3 Doors Down-Kryptonite
This song brings me back to my school days, particularly Sunday afternoons spent in my former room which I used to share with my brother. These afternoons were always spent listening to Rick Dees on Perfect 10 while reading story books or doing homework. Either that, or I'll be reading my Seventeen magazines. Lunch would most likely be porridge with the family since everyone would be home. Certain Sundays would see us all at Giant, grocery shopping for the week. School-going life was so much more simple and routine.

Jay Chou - Kai Bu Liao Kou
This is the very song that started my love relationship with Jay Chou. I remember the moment I heard it, it became the ONLY song on my playlist which I played on and on and on for god knows how many times. I was in Secondary 3 and the only thing I could think of while in class was going home after school and playing this song (didn't have the luxury of a DiscMan at the time). As time wore on and with the acquisition of a brand new DiscMan, it was time to venture into the deep realms of CD purchase. The only CD I wanted to get was Jay Chou's Fantasy album and it was sold out everywhere. WTF. It wasn't even a new release. Becky followed me up and down Causeway Point to hunt that little red package down and I finally found it at the mag and cd store in the Woodlands MRT station. The ONLY one left. The entire trip back to JB was spent flipping through the CD sleeve and saying it was sheer joy would be an understatement. What followed was an array of Jay Chou albums one after another. Sadly, I have stopped as a new way of acquiring songs has been discovered which would be undisclosed. Of course, Jay Chou songs are still widely played on my iPod as my companion on long train/tram rides.

Incubus-I Miss You
Incubus followed me to my Sunway College days and this was the very song I would play EVERY single morning when I stepped out of bed. Before I even did anything, it was always made sure that this song was playing. It is scary how much memories come flushing back. I can close my eyes and just feel I'm right there.

Hoobastank-The Reason
This song reminds me of the later months at Sunway College after I got to know Huey Miin. The CD was hers and I grabbed it and listened to it while doing work ALL THE TIME. It was also the morning song for a period of time. Even playing it now reminds me of Huey Miin. How we used to hang out in her room talking nonsense till 2am and surfing Friendster since it was still a novelty to us at the time. There was once we were studying for the Malaysian Studies exam which I was totally clueless since I did not learn Malaysian history at all. We looked at each other, said 'Fuck this!' and proceeded to talk instead. Those were the days.

The Strokes
Almost every song on The Strokes' CD played a significant part since I listened to every one of them every single day. Becky and I used to play it in the room and dance or try on outfits. On clubbing weekends, she would be at her table applying makeup and me dancing behind her. Haha. Such a dork.

Mario-Let Me Love You
GOSSSH this song reminds me so much of my first year in Taylor's College. While driving to college every morning, I would tune in to Rudy and JJ on Hitz.fm and this song never fails to get air time. Even while driving home, the same song plays. Absolute car song, coupled with traffic jams and rainy weather.

Gavin DeGraw - Chariot
This is another classic Taylor's College first year song often heard while driving. One very prominent memory would be when Yu Wooi and I went to pyramid during a break and this song was playing. Immediate instinct: turn it up and sing at the top of your lungs! Exactly what we did.

The Polyphonic Spree-Light and Day/Howie Day-Collide
This was one of the major songs of 2006. Major songs of depression that is. During the first semester exam period, there was so much stress and depression involved I do not even know where to start. The first time being overseas and with exams and everything, it hit me HARD. Never have I experienced such sorrow and pain and ughhh god knows what. These were the songs that accompanied me and now I fear to listen to them again and the reasons being obvious enough.

Stefanie Sun-Yu Tian
This was the soundtrack to the packing season at the end of the year when everyone was returning to Malaysia for the holidays. Playing it now transports me back to my room in Newcastle. The room which I very much hated but which sheltered me for a year. But it's a picture of happiness where the anticipation to return home is so great it adds a glossy effect to everything.

That was pretty much the soundtrack to my life, both happy and sad. There are a ton of other songs which flood back sheer memories but if I continue typing, my eyes are going to fall out. I badly need to sleep.

The soundtrack right now would be Snow Patrol's Chocolate. Love it.

Comments

Popular Posts