The Season To Be Jolly

It's just past midnight and while lying in bed and going to sleep does not seem to be an option since I just can't fall into sweet slumber, blogging in bed appears to be the answer. Hunger pangs are haunting me and while I prefer to eat fruit at night as opposed to beloved tasty instant noodles, the fridge chooses to go in parallel with my stomach and be empty. So yes, indeed it is infuriating.

It's funny how much I have changed in a year in terms of the movies/shows I watch and music I listen to. Just about everyone I know is talking about Gossip Girl, Entourage, Weeds and a whole lot of other English shows but strangely, there lies no urge in me to stream and watch any of them. Instead, I have been relentlessly streaming crappy Taiwanese variety shows with annoying whiny girls and a whole lot of Jdramas and movies. I thrive on the pinkness of the set and the hair colour of Japanese actors and actresses. And just barely 8 months ago, the Korean/Jap playlist in my iTunes held just a little over 10 songs most of which names I couldn't recall at the time or even differentiate if the language was Korean or Japanese.

The playlist has since grown 100 fold and even bypassed some of my favourite artists. Differentiating between the Korean and Japanese language has become a no brainer and has even expanded to differentiating the nationality of random people on the streets. Remembering the names of artists has undergone substantial improvement and Becky and I have even developed an inbuilt radar whose function must not be disclosed. My Taiwanese obsession comes as no surprise with my cheenah lian persona and love for all things pink and shiny. Bring on the bling!

Having not mentioned this earlier, let's talk about the holiday season. In a flash, it's here again - Christmas and New Year's. Goes together like peanut butter and jelly. Gosh, how fast did 2007 fly? The memories of my decision to make a change in my study plans and the outlining of fear when I boarded that plane to fly to a new place all over again without anyone by my side - still distinctively vivid. No doubt the year was one of the fastest with its fair share of fun intermingled with distress. But most importantly, it's the independence I have gained and the shocking amount I have grown (of course, if you choose to refer to weight, it's not entirely wrong). Proud it makes me to think that I survived with the one amount of money my Dad gave me before I left on that jet plane and kept through with my promise to him. I managed to juggle work and study, have loads of crazy fun and crucially, be happy.

My first Christmas and New Year's spent abroad, away from my comfort zone. While the celebrations this year is going to be with a completely different crowd of people, I look forward to welcoming the new year. Another chapter in life unfolds. New challenges, heaps more decisions to make and the border to adulthood looms ahead. AND it really is back to home sweet home this time. Tropical climate and wickedly delicious food. I can't wait.

A new year's resolution is not traditional in my arena but well maybe one this year wouldn't hurt, eh?

What will it be?

Comments

Popular Posts