I was never really into the idea of studying overseas even after my MUFY year. I wanted to go to University but was not fond of leaving on a jet plane and planting myself somewhere totally foreign. The idea of culture shock scared me and since I already experienced a huge blow of homesickness early during my MUFY year, I was more than glad to run in the opposite direction when it came to overseas education.

However, a year later and I AM overseas. In Australia. It's just too bad that the course I chose to pursue is not offered in most local institutions. Even though I was reluctant to cross oceans, I was actually excited during the time leading up to my departure for Australia and I surprised myself by anticipating the actual moment itself. Hugging my parents and sister while tearing profusely, going down the escalator and not daring to turn back in case I might run up a down escalator, lugging heavy suitcases into the booth to scan my passport and finally stepping into the other side of the terminal building to board my plane.

Subsequently, the feeling of touching down on foreign land is extremely exciting. And till then, the excitement still transcends the fear as well as the sorrow harboured deep within. The surrounds offer fresh and new servings to the eye and non-stop verbal exchange follows.

Well, coming overseas to study is not without its joys. I get to experience a different culture (cliche but true - you learn tons about how different lives people lead compared to our own locals), I get to live through the four seasons (but I have had ENOUGH of it), I get to bask in the joy of beautiful beaches and some beautiful surfer dudes to feast my eyes on, I get to feel how weight gain is all about (NOT a joy but oh wells...) and so on....But you must be prepared to miss home...ALOT.

However, I have come to realise that it's the small things in life that I truly miss.
I miss:
1) The moments when my mom wakes me for an impromptu drive to buy some soy bean milk and yu tiao.

2)The Sunday morning brunch of Bah Kut Teh with my Dad Mom and Sis.

3)And grocery shopping in Giant thereafter.

4)Laying on the couch all night watching crappy shows on MTV.

5)Laying on the couch all morning watching travel shows on Discovery.

6)Going for seafood dinner with my parents and ordering whatever the hell I want.

7)Driving around to hunt for new places to eat.

8)Mamaking sessions with parents as well as friends.

9)Driving my mom to MidValley or 1U and then getting lost on the way back.

10)Temaning my mom to the market in the morning and then having breakfast at Heng Lee.

11)Fighting with my sis and tricking her about nonsensical stuff (=D)

I am a simple person and simple things in life make me swell with bliss.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
On a totally unrelated issue, The Fray's How To Save A Life vid is out and it is absolutely beautiful. View it here!! http://www.sonybmg.com/musicbox/mb2/home.html

Comments

Popular Posts